University of St Andrews Sanctuary Scholarship
Applications are being accepted for the University of St Andrews Sanctuary Scholarship in the United Kingdom for the academic year 2022/2023. The scholarship is offered to both domestic and international students interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree at the university.
The Institution of St Andrews is a British public research university in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland. It is the oldest of Scotland’s four ancient universities, as well as the third-oldest institution in England and the English-speaking world, behind Oxford and Cambridge.
The University of St Andrews is offering to 50 scholarships per year to asylum seekers and refugees, with no tuition fee required. A monthly grant will also be provided to assist with living expenses. To stay on these scholarships, students must maintain a sufficient academic record (as determined by the university’s academic requirements).
The Worth of Scholarship
- $22,000 for a postgraduate taught course
- $15,000 in postgraduate research.
- Depending on government or private support, flexible funds can be allocated to tuition or maintenance.
To be eligible for this scholarship program, applicants must:
- Submit a request to the University of St Andrews for the academic year 2022–2023.
- have been given refugee status—or are seeking asylum under the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol—or have been granted humanitarian protection in the UK, and have lived in the UK for 5 years or more before beginning your studies.
- be classified as an international student for tuition fee purposes.
- Meet all the terms of your offer by the deadlines specified.
- You must meet all the criteria of your offer within the timeframes specified.
- not hold another major scholarship (with a total value of £2,500 or more).
- If you are an asylum seeker or have been given humanitarian protection status in the UK, we will provide you with a scholarship of up to £5,000 to assist you with your finances.
- Your scholarship will be provided as a tuition reduction for each year of your degree program. This implies that we will cut your tuition price by up to £5,000. If you study abroad as part of your degree program, the tuition fee discount will apply to the year(s) you are studying abroad.
The University of St Andrews is also committed to providing additional financial support as hardship funding and emergency accommodation where required.
How to apply?
- This scholarship is available to complete and submit through my application, scholarships, and Funding—View my funding applications.
- After you have applied to an alternative course, you will be provided with login details for the ‘My application’ portal.
- *Applicants living in Scotland are encouraged to apply to SAAS for any available tuition or bursary funding.
When do applications open?
- October 2021
Scholarship application deadline
- 28 July 2022
At what stage of my course application, can I apply for this scholarship?
- Please apply for the scholarship after you have applied for a place at St Andrew’s. You do not need to wait until you have received an offer of a place before applying for the scholarship.
When will I hear if my application has been successful?
- The outcome of your scholarship application will be available on “View my applications” in the Scholarships and Funding section of My Application after the deadline date.
- The St Andrews Sanctuary scholarship cannot be held with the St Andrews Access scholarship, as applicants awarded the higher value Sanctuary scholarship will automatically rescind the St Andrews Access scholarship.